Tuesday, August 14, 2007

World Observation: Language Around Children

I was reading in my car the other day as I was sitting in front of this store (yeah, anything to get out of my apartment... those stories aside)...

and...

this woman, about 35-40 years old and her about 1 year old child in the stroller were waiting for someone as the woman was chatting on her phone. She began talking about this woman who had just left her house and called her to get directions to where she was going from there. Following the explanation, this grown woman says (in the presence of her child)... "She's so retarded! So mentally retarded!"

My thoughts: At what point can be start being good examples for young, impressionable children? I guess I'm an advocate for proper language around kids because they are picking up everything from us and we are examples to them.

Alright, I'm done with the vent session. Thanks.

No comments: