Monday, August 6, 2007

Leadership From the Inside Out - Book reflections #1

Currently I am reading a book (listed in the title) for my ARP class. I understand that this book is a foundation for what we are to be-- leaders, in designing, shaping, and developing our ARP's.

Here are my reflections as I go:

(p.23) "All significant growth and development begins with self leadership, mastery of oneself."

It is true to thought in saying that leadership starts from within and all great leaders in our world have first become leaders of oneself first. This reminds me of being on an airplane --hear me out. When the flight attendants are explaining the procedures for placing the oxygen masks on your face, they advise that each person place their own mask on first and then work on helping others. Once you are situated, and developed as a leader, you are then ready to train others. You have the play-by-play rules ready to go... because you've used them on yourself.

(p.36) "What we believe, we become."

I think this is going on my whiteboard this year. Maybe very large for the first week of school. Just in the same way humans have this (sad) way of being able to create our own memories, even of things that never occurred, we can believe in making success happen, and we are more likely to pass the finished line. Especially starting something new, many students of any age are fearful of beginnings. This is quite a motivating little quote.

**reoccurring in this book: "As we believe, so shall we lead."

My thoughts: I simply see this quote as a motivation to motivate. If there is something we are passionate about (or passionate against), we are so much more likely to speak up and let our voice be heard--become a leader.

In talking about Conscious beliefs on p.36, there are some questions to which I choose to answer here:

What do you believe about yourself?


I believe that I work hard and often have difficulties taking compliments. I believe that I am self-motivated but become encouraged by others when they are motivated. I believe that I am not strong in certain areas but excel in others. I believe that I have difficulty being wrong and listening to others for advice.

What do you believe about other people?

I believe other people can be judgemental. I believe that other people can be supportive, even when I don't want the support (but usually do, just have too much pride to admit it). I believe others are much more compassionate than I often think they are when I make mistakes. I believe that I have a lot to learn from others.

What do you believe about life?

I believe life is a constantly changing process of which humans are required to adapt. I believe that life is short, life is what you make it, and life is not the same for everyone. I believe that life on earth ends and eternity begins.

What do you believe about leadership?

I believe that leadership is an unnecessarily scary word. I believe everyone is involved in leadership in at least one area of their lives. I believe leadership is different than management and leadership is a mindset, not necessarily activated with a "title."

(p.38) "...He had this nagging anxiety ---can I continue to top my past achievements?"

Don't we all think this way? I think oftentimes, we choose not to "go for the gold" and really make the very best we can, in fear that we won't be able to come back around with that same feeling of accomplishment.

Thinking even further, if for example, Coca Cola were to have 10 ideas of new products ready to launch in September, would it be a smart business move if they revealed all of their new and innovative ideas all at once? No one idea would get very much attention... instead they space out their successes.

(p.44) "Our external shell can be either rigid and thick, preventing new possibilities to enter or to arise, or it can be permeable, thin and flexible, allowing learning and expression of potentialities."

I know that I am guilty of putting up my guard and having this nice rigid shell that makes me look like I can handle the world and then some. Well, truth is, not a person in the world is that strong. It's funny how that's still how we defend ourselves... when we are all human and built of the same structure and internal feelings.

(p.47) "Managers control by virtue of their doing. Leaders lead by virtue of their being."

What a powerful quote! Managers have to take action while leaders are leaders by just setting an example. Come to think of it, leaders are those people that exude confidence, but are not boastful or pushy. Leaders are often experts but do not advertise their expertise.

(p.50) Under sufficient stress, all old patterns return."

It's so true! Even when we try to change ourselves because there is a quality that is not to our liking, we still see that evil trait come back when the right amount of stress enters our lives. For example, I can often lash out at people when I feel like I am being attacked (insecurity). My fiance was helping me design these wedding hotel suggestion cards and I lashed out at him for checking over what I asked him to check. What I asked was, "check these over and see what you think"... but what I really wanted to hear was "Good job" --- not the corrections that he added. Now, the corrections were certainly worthwhile and not at all said in a rude manner. I just put up a guard when I felt I was being attacked even though I have been trying to make an effort to change that. Of course it is suppressed when stress is lacking... but when stress is present, the same darn reaction rears its ugly head...

more to come...

No comments: