Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Leadership From the Inside Out - Book reflections #3

I hope I am not alone in saying this... but as Bill wants us to blog at least 2 x's /week, I find it hard to do since we have SO much else to be doing, replying to, reading...etc. Blogging has no structure or due date, making it even more challenging.

I am choosing to blog about my readings because I am very much a visual learner. Typing my random notes from the reading is helping me add meaning to what I read. So, if it helps you too, awesome! Here are my thoughts this time around:

(p.85) Life is everchanging-- it is our job to master our ability to adapt to change.

If I said I liked change, I'd be lying. Everyone likes to be informed of every little change but hates it regardless because it's an added stress on our already important and busy lives. This book is certainly helping me realize that the key to leadership (and self) success is being able to roll with the punches... something I have always struggled with ---well, I am good at it on vacation or on the weekend... but in the presence of stress... suck at it!

(p.88) Like a wise student, we can gain insight only if we are open to it.

I just think of how often I am stuck in a rut and want nothing more than to sulk in my situation until I finally cut the pride and submit to listening to others for assistance. It really does take me some time of being on my own and struggling to open up to the insight of others. Tonya (GA) from VirtCamp told me multiple times ---this was such an eye opener to me!-- that I need to consult my classmates for help rather than getting frustrated and doing it alone. At times, she even said it sternly as if she were trying to express, "Cut the crap, Brandy!" For some reason, I feel as though I am bothering people or being a helpless person when I submit to the insight of others. I don't want others to view me as weak and I don't want to lose my pride. I am learning it... the hard way, but I making a real effort to pushing the envelope on this one.

*A few times throughout reading this book it has reminded me of a book my fiance was reading throughout his MBA program about Toyota and their key to success. I believe the book is called Lean or something of that nature. Anyhow, it explained how Toyota is a growing success and far surpasses the other car manufacturing companies in their business practice. Toyota has a mission to treat ALL of their employees as if they are shareholders and leaders. Even down to the production line, Toyota is constantly consulting the very people who work the nitty-gritty of their product and every single employee to gain feedback on how their exact area of work can be improved to be more productive. Rather than hiring bigshots who aren't working in that area, all employee opinions on change are valued and changes are made according to the employee feedback. It has been their business plan and it has worked tremendously.

A quote from the book worked with this idea: (p.97) We need to invest millions of dollars in people development and keep with it even if we experience a few bumps in the road...the courage to reengineer the total organization (human and systemic) comes form the belief that people really are the capital that drives performance.

Now, I think, how can I use this at school? I already consult my students for help, their thoughts, their buy-in, their interests, their beliefs, their wants... often. But am I doing enough? Am I really making their experience an optimal experience for their growth?

(p.97) All significant changes begin with self change.

And how hard it is to change yourself rather than changes situations around you or situations that aren't working. This one's a toughy.

(p.102) Imagine your life totally free of fear... How would you live? ...How would you lead?

I see it going two ways:

I would be encouraged to try everything, not concerned about failure (which is a fear of myself and many) and I would have many great successes because I tried. Some failures, but they would be opportunities to learn from.

I can also see having no fear... leading to being careless. Going for it even though it wasn't thought out, fully complete, etc.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, Brandy - You could just post fewer words if the burden of blogging seems too much... ;-)

Your blogs are insightful and thorough. Really good thoughts. However, my expectation is not as high as the bar you have set for yourself.

Brandy Wilson said...

Yes, I know... I have pretty high expectations for myself and I know that I write a lot... but these are key points the book highlights to me personally. Anyhow, I'm good at forgetting stuff too... this helps me not to. :)