Thursday, August 9, 2007

Final Reflection on Leadership From the Inside Out

(p.179) I loved the idea of seeing you job as earning a living OR feeding a community. That parable was such a good example of how we should be viewing our efforts.

It reminded me of this commercial I saw on the Internet (CNN videos) about Tylenol. Each of the people that spoke were actual Tylenol employees and they expressed what they do. Rather than making a product for salary that will pay their bills, they expressed that their work "saves people's lives."

Another thought-provoking piece that was underlying within this book was the idea of showing your real self, becoming vulnerable, and being real with people. This greatly changes and strengthens you impact as a leader. You become personable, someone of respect, admirable, and someone people want to befriend. The book mentioned how Al Gore was uptight throughout his campaign and finally let himself breathe and be "real" after he lost the presidency. The author speculates whether or not he would have made a better candidate and would have had a better chance if he would have let himself be known by the people in a real way. Possibly.

The book was insightful and brought about a lot of "me thinking" which was much needed. Close to the end, I was beginning to get ancy and felt like repetition was starting to kick in. However, I hope that I can use some of this advice to strengthen myself as a leader and use this in assistance with my ARP in the upcoming months.

No comments: