Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Leadership From the Inside Out - Book reflections #4

Interesting quote from the book:

(p.111) I don't care who you are or how great you are --no one person can totally claim the victory or totally abstain from the defeat.

In our lives, we are not the only ones the contribute to what happens. There is always a surrounding "team" that holds power and possesses insight into our actions. Haven't you ever seen the Oscars? I always find it humorous that the actors get up and thank everyone in the world (and outside of the world--thanking God is overrated. Glad they remember him them... probably not a second thought later on) ... but the truth is, although they are the only one seen on the camera and in the movie, there are hundreds of others that their success must be tied to.

(p.114) Ask people for their feedback on your views and how you are coming across.

Okay, as nice as this sounds, I find it almost impossible to do. People are afraid of hurting your feelings or losing their jobs. The only real way to do this that seems to work is confidential.

(p.122) ----authentic listening... tough concept! Have you ever been able to just listen to someone without getting thoughts in your head about what you plan to say next?

I was talking to Dervin last night on Skype and we kept interrupting each other, trying to get a word in edgewise. Is it because we are so horrible at authentic listening? Is it fair enough to say that we are trying to help contribute, or that we are selfish to want OUR voices to be heard and praised?

(p.124) --apprecite authenticity. Often, I feel like there isn't enough to appreciate. Rarely in the workplace do I hear teachers, administration, or even students contributing to appreciating others... like really, truly admiring someone's efforts. I have set a goal to encourage and acknowledge and express to others my appreciation at school this year. REMIND ME of this if anyone in fact reads my lengthy blogs. ;)

Okay... this whole idea of "Being Mastery" is so weird. I know it's good to be comfortable and control yourself... but yikes! How difficult is it just to "be" without outside distractions.

I have never meditated, although I did try the breathing exercise in this chapter... not that I felt the serenity I was supposed to... but I guess I was focused on it and expecting it too.

Finally... page 143 talks about Reverence for Nature. Here is where I really connected. I love being outside. I love everything about nature and what is has to offer our souls. My fiance says (I joke with him about this... as we are both Christian), when we go to the mountains, he feels like God lives there. I have since started to view mountains in that same, serene light. I love hikes (although, ask me if I'm ready to hike 26 miles at Mt. Whitney in a couple week... uhhhhh) and all things nature. It really frees me when I am outside of my concrete walls.

On that note... I had to add another favorite of mine (that I am fairly new to, growing up in So. Cal... Skiiing---this one is in Steamboat Springs, CO. I am going back in two weeks!)

No comments: