Friday, August 31, 2007

Second Life: Conquering Fears?

I know this is probably a long shot... and when I was thinking about it last night before bed, I might have been just delirious so bear with me. Here was my epiphany:

Second Life could possibly be just what is needed to get people to conquer their fears. (or at least mess with them) Case and point. I have a surfboard and wetsuit that my avatar has used to surf. Now, in my first life, I would never surf (afraid). I am perfectly comfortable and I actually seek out things that I fear in my (first) life on second life.

In thinking about how children and others are drawn to second life (other than that it's entertaining, colorful, similar to a video game...), it's no surprise to me that people want to make their second life avatar into something that their first life character is not at all alike. Maybe I'll bust out some psychology and say that it's possible that because our human nature can often make us unhappy with self-image, that second life is a way to create the image of your dreams and be a person in which you never were on earth. Woah. deep stuff.

No comments: