Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Leadership From the Inside Out - Book reflections #2

I have to admit, I wasn't pumped about reading this book. I thought, "oh great... leadership. In what ways is this book going to try and make me change?"

But after seeing Todd's postings, I began to get a better sense how to approach this reading. It's another way to see things that normally I possess. Needless to say, it's getting better.

I found this section of the book, Purpose Mastery, to be enlightening. Here are my thoughts:

The question "WHY?" -- quite possibly the hardest word to answer. We don't always have a clear reason for why we do things, but we should. (p.63)

(p.66) Nothing happens without a purpose. --It's true! The book outlines many examples of purposeful occurrences and it's just interesting thing that nothing occurs for no reason. This also sheds some light on the things we do wrong. Why did we choose to make mistakes?

(p.67) Why does a leader see possibilities while another sees only problems?

I believe a leader is constantly looking forward for the good of everyone. Rather than being caught up with the present, leaders view "it" as one big journey with hills and plains, not concentrating on any one point but viewing it as one entity.

(p.72) The more profound the purpose, the greater the energy. Purpose also frees us. Purpose opens up possibilities.

With a strong purpose, we are more likely to work hard in achieving it. We stand up for the purpose and except nothing less than success.

I loved this quote:
When you love the purpose of what you do, the rest flows!

What I loved most about that quote were the explanations that followed it. A few people were described in the book (the baker, the insurance/preacher) and both needed to find a real purpose for their work/lives. Once they found the real purpose, their abilities and attitudes soared, causing their work to flourish based on the change of their purposeful attitude.

(p.76) When we are certain of our meaning and purpose, it is very difficult to keep us from achieving our objectives.

How true is this! It is in line with the same principal that "If you want something bad enough, nothing will stop you" -- it means that purpose-driven people strive for completion and excellence.

(This entire section reminded me of The Purpose Driven Life too... in some areas)

(p.78 #3) When helping others find purpose, it is important that we not expect that what worked for us will work for them. Just like the differences of every human being, we have different purposes for our efforts. We must not lose sight of helping someone explore their options rather than trying to give them an answer of what to claim as their purpose.

Finally... the best quote of the chapter:

(p.82) The truest test of your character as a leader is the manner in which you deal with failure.

Some leaders seem strong and purposeful until an unexpected loss hits them. The leader you once valued and admired can be seen as just another person, lacking leadership qualities where they need it most.

I know that I struggle with this quote. I seem energized and positive until something starts to go array and I just want it to be handed off to someone else. Not always, but many times has this occurred in my own life. I worked on answering the questions in this section and it helped me to find the purposes for what I do in my life.

No comments: