Monday, September 3, 2007

Radio: An Illustrated Guide


I just finished reading Radio: An Illustrated Guide. It was the highly recommended book from Stager's book list. Anyhow, when I saw how short it was, I was up for buying it...

Indeed, it only took about 30 minutes to read through. Being a former journalism student/guru, I loved it. Not only do I find radio to be the most fun medium, but I understood a lot of the lingo they spoke of in the booklet. I even took it upon myself to email an old radio journalism professor from my undergrad to express the greatness of the book and to pass it on to future students.

Read it! It's funny. Now I'm anxious to listen to the show. Even more exciting... my future (as of right now) is looking at the high possibility of moving to the Chicago area in the next few years. That's where the show takes place. Maybe I will be an intern for fun!

P.S. I was an intern at KKJZ fm, 88.1 (it's jazz, I did the news) until their budget was cut and pushed the program director and all of his interns out the door. I loved working in radio and cutting sound. I also interned at a big shot station, Star 98.7 while in college too. However, I did very little hands-on there. I attribute most of my learning to the KKJZ experience. I only have one of my stories taped (my first and unfortunately, not my best) but it's on cassette. In addition to the many humiliating VHS tapes from broadcasting camps and the like.

No comments: