Saturday, September 29, 2007

Back to School Night

Alright, so B2S night was on Thursday. For those of you who are unaware of this lovely occasion, it is when an entire classroom is filled with my worst enemies, parents.

I am kidding... but at the same time, there were very few smiles within the crowd. Parents came in, sat down, listened to my shpeal (how on earth do you spell THAT word!), and then threw tomatoes at me. Okay, they weren't tomatoes, but complaints, yes.

I am not sure what they expect, but I am a teacher. I teach kids knowledge... and help them find their processes of learning. Instantly, upon my completion, a parent shoots her hand up and asks, "why does my daughter have 4 hours of homework every night?" ...then the crowd pulls in...

Simply put, I am not the homework police. I give ample amount of time in class to complete work. I will not falter in my responses to these parents. How do you say, Your kid is just too darn slow! That was the same sound I heard from about 5 parents. Again... slow kids.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have some REALLY bright kids. I have the smartest 4th grade class at my school! I absolutely love their inquisitive minds. But... here in lies the problem. If I teach to the higher-level students (a must), then the lower students/slower students fall behind and then the calls and emails pour in. If I teach at a lower level, the bar is set too low for the kids and no one develops. In addition, my GATE kids would probably walk out.

I've been fighting fires and writing emails ever since Thursday night. I might need to go back to fifth grade where parent involvement sucks but at least they let me teach without questioning me. I will not teach with low expectations. I will not.

No comments: