Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Checking in, and The Tipping Point readings

Yes... some may say that I am addicted to this blog (ehm... Samiya, Todd) but really, I just feel it as my active duty in contributing to this program's well being. I also missed you all SO much from our VirtCamp reflection circle that I felt the need to reflect as if we were all together still.

Okay, fine. I don't care. I actually like this blog.

So far on my OMET journey, I have done tons of reading. Good reading though. If all the reading is as interesting and fulfilling as it has been, I won't mind that side. I am so excited that the majority of readings aren't textbooks but rather books chosen by our profs that they find compelling and informative in our area of study. I am enjoying The Tipping Point so far. A couple cool things:

When the author mentioned yawning, I did. Of course I hated contributing to that statistic... but yeah. Funny how I yawned just by reading the word... and now I am passing it on... wondering if I am making anyone else yawn...............zzz..............zz....................z......

I thought "nonverbal cues are as or more important than verbal cues" was an interesting statement. That entire section (p.79) was interesting to me because it talked about broadcasters that I have studied outside of this program and explained the nonverbal implications they have on their viewer's decisions and views. More specifically, the book mentions how Peter Jennings used his nonverbal cues to influence his opinion on voting for Ronald Reagan.

Finally, the idea of "emotional contagion" (p.85) was also interesting. By making someone smile, you can change their mood from unhappy to happy... because your expressions force you into a more relaxed and happy state.

Anyhow, just some thoughts about what I'm reading... and I wanted to remember these thoughts too.

Hope all is well my cadre mates!

1 comment:

Todd Coston said...

Ok....I'll admit it...I yawned too. Isn't it amazing...the power of suggestion. Nice summary Brandy!