Tuesday, October 2, 2007

One Golden Coin in a Pile of Coal

Not a terribly good analogy... but hear me out.

I have some cruel parents... but I have been blessed to have one set of amazing parents that truly are supportive of myself and their daughter. Haven't parents learned that I have their child's entire school year in my hands? Being respectful should be an obvious reply of gratitude.

The awesome "golden coin" sent me an email of links for projectors (I wrote a grant for one, but it was thoughtful of him to look out for me) and a link for a video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=362421849901825950&total=100&s

The video is fairly long, but inspiring. It speaks of virtual simulations (games, like Sims...etc) that get kids learning from where they are most interested and inspired. I feel like our world is headed in the direction of technology for students. Not for technology's sake, but for the mere fact that our kids are THERE. Every generation has their "thing" and I believe that if we want to grow with our students, and in their direction, we need to follow them where they are. Where they understand. Where they gravitate.

Anyway, this somewhat lengthy video is inspirational. I encourage you to play it in the background as you work if your time is short. He does have some PowerPoint slides that are worth mentioning if you do have 1.5 hours of dowloads to wait for or airplane time to pass. :)

Carnegie Mellon Professor Randy Pausch, dying of Pacreatic Cancer
Speech date: Sept. 18, 2007

No comments: