Wednesday, January 9, 2008

UbD - Understanding by Design - "teaching by mentoring it"

As I read through the first chapter in UbD, I came across a passage that reflects (sadly) the very teaching I find myself stuck in often. It's called "teaching by mentoring it." In this method, according to page 21, the teacher talks, checks off topics and moves on, irrespective of whether students understand or are confused.

I am guilty of this! So often I rely on the textbook creators (let us remember, they aren't teachers) to design my curriculum for me. If I do not use the textbook, I am in fear that I won't cover everything or align myself with other members of my grade level team.

Another reason I believe I "teach by mentoring it" is because I am not as familiar with the curriculum I am currently teaching than the other members of my grade level (although I'm not sure they are either at times!). This is my first year teaching 4th grade and I am still mastering the content with the students. That makes the UbD model a little harder, because I have no prior knowledge of teaching the information or what examples I can pull from previous year's lessons.

I'm enjoying the book... but just wish it was more user-friendly in size. It's such a textbook and not a book I can lug around in my purse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.