Monday, January 14, 2008

EDC 665 - Week 2 Blog

Using the same learning experience, what were your desired results? Why did you choose these results?

My desired result of the colonial newspaper project was for students to understand the aspects of colonial life and gain a taste of the ammenities that the first 13 colonies had at that time in history. I also desired for students to learn how to research using books for information in which they wanted to include, work together by dividing tasks, and enjoy the process of living through the history of our nation.

Given my new knowledge of understanding and knowledge, I not only wanted my students to be knowledgeable, but to carry on their knowledge into understanding that would trigger whenever they come across another colonial life piece in their own lives. Students would understand timeline of events as they continue through the history of our nation and world and see how these growth patterns affect one another. I want their understanding to be so great that when studying world history the following year in sixth grade, they piece together the timeline and factor the relationships between what was occuring in Europe to what was occuring in the 13 colonies at the time.

I chose all of these results (great appreciation and understanding of colonial life, research abilities, working together in groups, enjoying the history of our nation) for the same reason I chose to begin teaching: I have a passion for learning and I want to share this same passion with my students. I believe that learning about our ancestors and the rich, but new history of our nation shapes decisions that are made today given our constitution, due process of law, etc. I believe it is valuable for students to learn how to find the answers they seek as this world in which they live is about questions. Having the resources to answer those will help each one of us grow. Finally, working together occurs all hours of our (awake) lives.

From the feedback given by my students and their proud faces when their project was unveiled to their parents, families, and friends during Open House, they did in fact learn something. Given their conversations and their watching their faces light up really showed their learning.

No comments: