Sunday, April 6, 2008

Power Mentoring w/Jen Part 4

An update on my and Jen's mentoring relationship. We've talked casually recently and wanted to post her recent needs as I remember them. We also have dinner planned for this week to discuss these items even further and also catch up as friends (because that's also very important!).

Jen is concerned about making new teacher friends that she "clicks" with at her new school location. Being the department chair at her current high school, she was part in the hiring process and quickly found connections with her apprentice teachers. She was also a support provider in BTSA -- the beginning teacher program required for year 1 and year 2 teachers in California. It is nice to have friends in the department you work in, and I understand Jen's concern there. We can somewhat relate to this issue as I am working at a school that I could leave tomorrow with now holds if required. I love my students and the parents and administration is supportive, but the teachers aren't the most friendly. They don't go above and beyond in their jobs and the parking lot is often empty before 4:00 on any given day. I can barely get students out of the classroom and the last straggling tutoring my students request before most teachers are off into the sunset. So, I understand and we had a great connecting conversation.

One of the other concerns she brought to my attention through her transition was learning to deal with what parents bring. It's a difficult task to figure out proper ways to approach phonecalls, emails, etc. Coming from a school where the demographics include many students who aren't legal residents (hence the parents are not complaining out of safety) and the majority of parents who are uneducated, not bilingual, and not involved, there is a great concern for the abrupt change. To this concern, I can relate completely. This was one of the main reasons why I selected Jen as my mentee because she is in need of assistance on the very thing I had such a learning curve on just a couple years ago. I am better versed now. A friend of mine substitute teaches at my school and her husband is a high school math teacher at the school Jen will be switching to. They will be in the same department and have taught at the same starting school. Given their similiar connections, I was able to speak with that teachers wife about his transition and to offer some advice for Jen. The wife, Julie, mentioned that she is excited Jen will be jumping into their group and that it was a struggle to watch students feel so "privileged" at this new "elite" high school as opposed to the one both of them starting their teaching careers in. It's trying at first, but he has been there now for over 25 years so he obviously warmed up to the student population. The important thing to note is that although it's an affluent area, there are students from all over and not all of them have a supportive family and background. Struggle can be found everywhere and we all have the same basic needs to be loved and appreciated.

Those were some heavy topics. More to come on Thursday/Friday.

No comments: