Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Power Mentoring w/Jen Part 3

The recent mentor meeting I had with Jen went well. We brought out another concern she was having that was making her anxious about her upcoming switch to the new high school.

I was sort of surprised by her concern this time, but understand how she might be feeling in this regard. Jen has worked in this lower-income area for 6 years now, the duration of her teaching career. In this time, she has built a great deal of relationships and fears that leaving with make her feel the "baggage" as she referred to it, of betrayal. She will feel guilty, essentially, for leaving behind what needs more attention and care for something that may come easier to her.

While she is not leaving to get away from the kids she works with, the administration is trying on her. She has gone through multiple administrators and superintendants that most teachers in their 6th year should and do not have to endure. The district is disorganized and seems to be fraying at the seams.

We discussed how she can still involve herself in collaboration with other teachers from the school and possibly still have a foot in the door for assistance, or relationships with students who really value her as a mentor. A bit of "pay it forward" mentoring, if you will.

I brought some thoughts to her about my insecurities with my job future. We talked about ways to market myself and how I may best show my assets to other districts if they time arises where this may occur. She is really supportive and gave me great interview tips that she's used in the past too.

No comments: