Monday, February 11, 2008

EDC 665 - Week 6 Blog

As learners, we are often focused on completing assessment activities successfully as opposed to acquiring the outcomes indicated by the course- why is this? Describe a learning experience where either you have combated this learner tendency or you felt a teacher handled this well.

This might be the most applicable blog to date. As a student/learner (for the majority of my life) and now teacher, I have struggled with this aspect of the "hurry up and finish" mentality. As I am writing this, I wonder if I am giving enough thought and time to this posting as not to finish for finishing's sake.

As a student, I always felt a threat to complete before everyone else for the reason that I am competitive. But moreso, I wanted my teachers and professors to feel validated as they have students who take their teaching seriously and want to contribute. I also admit a sense of arrogance to completing first as I know this is the way to shape others' responses and "set the bar" so-to-speak. Finally, I am also the type to like to see a clean slate and not mull over things too long. I don't like seeing 10 assignments left to finish but enjoy "knocking them out" one-by-one.

This blog is perfect to add that I recently posted a blog under the name "zeros are heroes" (or something to that affect). I am sure if you scroll down it will appear... this posting explained my OCD issue with seeing zeros rather than seeing many postings to read. I climbed Mt. Whitney last year with my fiance and our two friends and was asked to be in the back because I lead the group too quickly and would have run us out of energy going too quickly. I'm also a pretty strong type A. (no laughing Brent, Todd, of Greg who give me plenty of crap for this...)

All this to say... I don't know where I picked this up. I see my students rushing often and not putting thought into everything they do. I encourage them to take a few breaths and mull over their thoughts to fully formulate what they want to expand on. I wouldn't consider myself the best role model for this behavior but know this struggle is something I live with everyday. I watch fellow hardworking classmates put a lot of thought into their work and wonder if I should slow things down a bit.

If I were to take a guess of why people are this way, I would say that everyone likes to be validated and the compulsive nature that pushes us to achieve the "assignment" as opposed to seeing the greater outcome is a way of checking a box. With so many "outcomes" to fulfill, I think as learners we settle for some lost outcomes and some gained, as long as we can save face with others seeing our completions. ?!? Looking forward to hearing some others' responses to this... I am struggling!

No comments: