Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Comedian

I wish I had the opportunity to schedule the viewing of The Comedian with my cadre-mates, but unfortunately I will be away from Internet access until about Sunday evening beginning tomorrow.

This is going to be a strange experience. Throughout this program thus far, my attachment to my computer is unreal! The idea of not checking email or logging on to CNN is something that I can't wrap my brain around. Speaking of technology, I was writing on the Distinguished School committee today and I was designated by other members as being the most computer savvy. If you would have asked me 4 months ago... I would have had skills, but not to the polished caliber I feel I am at now. I have A LOT to learn, but I am proud of my achievements. Even the small steps have proven powerful.

Yesterday's unveiling of the Second Life theorist project went marvelously. I really saw a lot of value in a student-run project that did not result in a paper that was written. I had some great conversations with visitors and educators who I normally would not have the opportunity to interface with. My only downfall in learning: I don't feel like I spent enough time holding myself accountable to learning and making connections with other theorists. Having our own rooms allowed for creativity, but it stripped us from the collaboration aspect in many ways. I simply placed a teleport ball in my room, but really had to dig for connects to that theorist as the reason I placed the teleport ball in the first place. I included information on my notecard about Csikszentmihalyi and information about connecting theorists, but never spent a good portion of time consulting about learning theory with those other theorist experts (can I call them that given our knowledge of Surpassing Ourselves?). Demonstration of learning can be brought about in so many ways... I need to be doing more of that and less of the paper/pencil assessments in my own classroom. The only concern is... would others view me "too easy a teacher?"

Back to The Comedian. I will speak further about this once all of the cadre has viewed the movie, but would like to add some information I found regarding communities of practice. First, the most fascinating this I observed throughout the documentary was amount of uncertainty that professionals possess in their "skill." Going back to the expert definition, I don't believe I would qualify any of those men as experts in the field, but ever changing expert-novices (re-word?). Although they are comedians, they are never the same comedian. (Hmmm... but then again, I am a teacher... so does that make me a changing novice too? I believe so... always adding more and revising the tools in my toolbelt). Much of the lifestyle they live is isolating and difficult. The irony that interlies is that we envision those who make us laugh to be free-spirited, well-rested, and fun-loving characters. Orny Adams certainly did not seem too terribly fun-loving or free-spirited. As a matter of fact, I researched his website, http://www.ornyadams.com/ and it said he did finally make it to Los Angeles as he "dreamed aloud" about in the film. In fact, he is a frequent of the Comedy and Magic Club right here in Hermosa Beach, just 9 blocks from my house. I run by it every week! I went there recently to see Jay Leno.

I digress, as a community of comedians, there is a single bond they carry and the same struggles that drive one, drive all of them (despite Cosby who is a living comedian God). The frustrations, struggles, praises, excitements, and turmoil they go through occurs in such a small bracket of time and their work is not nearly as praised for its efforts as the likes of non-talented pop star teenagers. The resounding word however, was... within your community support system, keep what you love alive, as no one can do it for you. It's a one man show... with a body of supporters.

... although, I don't feel too terribly sad for Jerry Seinfeld who flew around in his private jet. Tough gig, really.

No comments: